Thursday, February 21, 2013

Isn't it funny...

Funny, isn't it...when things "hit you." Today. I'm putting the girls down for a nap. And, as usual, I'm doing and thinking of a million things at once. So I'm thinking about how many cupcakes I need to make for Gabi's party next weekend. And - BAM! It hits me....

My Baby...
MY FIRST BORN...
is going to be 
5 Years Old 
in just a few short days.

I know, it's good - right? Every birthday we celebrate is a gift, and the alternative of celebrating a birthday is...well, you know. So, believe me. I couldn't be happier that she's going to celebrate another birthday. Every new year that I get to spend with these girls is like another miracle.

You know, I remember the day she was born like it was yesterday. I could tell you her "birth story" today with as much detail and emotion as I would have told you almost five years ago. 

But, God...if I wouldn't give a million dollars to go back and really live in every moment with her and with Amelia. What I wouldn't give to have kept baby books. What I wouldn't give to have not worried so much about what was coming up, but lived in each moment as it was happening.

I don't remember the day she first smiled. But I remember the way my heart felt. I don't remember when she first crawled, but I remember the day she crawled over to a box of Kleenex and took each tissue out of the box. I don't remember the day she started walking, but I remember how much pride and love I felt the first time she walked into my arms for a big bear hug. 

So, today I cried a bit. I mourned the passing of one stage for the next. I relived moments that made me happy, and sad. I gave thanks for every second of every day with these little girls. I smiled as I wiped my tears away. I laughed as I thought about the mess I will be when she graduates high school! 

And then, finally after my little breakdown - it was quick, but it was a doozy; I made myself a promise. I made my girls a promise. To live in each moment. To blog my stories, thoughts, and memories. To appreciate each second for what it is - a gift!

I probably won't be prepared the next time a random wave of emotions hit me - I am Monica, afterall. I just think it's funny...how a mundane task can give you a quick peek at the bigger picture.

2 comments:

  1. Exactly why I blog! And I don't think the dates are so important .. who cares that Trice smiled on August whatever of whatever ... it's more about the feeling that hit me at that very moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know...I remember when I first met Gabi! She was soooo tiny! We were working at Girls Inc. yet! I fell in love with her the minute I saw her, and watching her grow up through the pictures on facebook is a blessing! Both of your girls are just darling, and I hope I can meet them sometime soon! I am going to be in your area in a couple of weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete